We are representatives from the local community interested in converting the disused railway line from Bungendore to Captains Flat to the Molonglo Rail Trail. The first step in the process is to conduct a feasibility study of the proposed project.
Rail Trails provide outstanding opportunities for tourism and recreation, and can encourage outdoor activities and exercise due to the relatively gentle nature of the gradients and the attractive places many pass through. They also provide economic opportunities for the local host communities as well as the increased pride ‘showing your place’ to visitors creates. (Beeton, 2006: 20)
So how do we do this? Check out our “Statement of Objects” below to find out.
Molonglo Rail Trail Incorporated– Statement of Objects
(1) To promote and support the establishment of a sustainable rail trail from Bungendore to Captain’s Flat that will:
- provide a safe enjoyable facility for recreation to encourage a healthy lifestyle
- create tourism, local economic development and trail related business opportunities, which will enable the widest possible section of the community to enjoy the above benefits;
- protect, conserve and rehabilitate the natural environment along the old railway corridor that may include endangered/threatened native flora and fauna, and the habitat of ecological communities; and
- enable the protection, conservation and restoration of structures of historical railway significance that includes bridges, and station buildings.
(2) To consult and share information about rail trails with all sections of the community, government bodies, rail trail groups and other bodies.
(3) To promote and support the establishment of walking, running and cycling information, facilities, trails and paths in and around the Bungendore, Captain’s Flat and Hoskinstown regions that will:
- encourage healthy lifestyles in a safe environment;
- foster tourism, local economic development and business opportunities, which will enable the widest possible section of the community to enjoy the above benefits; enhance connectivity and linkages with the rail trail once established; and
- promote the establishment of safe cycling links to Queanbeyan, Canberra and regional cycling facilities such as Kowen Forest.
(4) To operate as a not for profit incorporated association.